Saturday 11 December 2010

Saturday Playlist #15: Star Trek

I quite like the old Star Trek films. I don't love them by any stretch, but the ones with the original crew are fun and harmless, except for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, which is so bad it makes the Next Generation films look good. And let me tell you, they're not. Watching them is like being at a party with all the boring people from somebody else's office. You don't like them, you don't know what they're talking about and one of them keeps saying "Make it so". Ugh. Thank Christ for JJ Abrams and his balls-out brilliant reboot.
Of the eleven Star Trek films, six composers contributed scores - Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Leonard Rosenman, Cliff Eidelman, Dennis McCarthy and of course the spankulous Michael Giacchino.

"All of that is very interesting", I hear you yawn, "but what about that version of Pulp's 'Common People' that William Shatner did? That was freakin' awesome!"

I don't know, you people.

William Shatner - 'Common People'


CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO
SATURDAY PLAYLIST #15:
STAR TREK

2 comments :

  1. Star Trek - where they cling on to mono sound - to boldly go - to the Final Front Ear.

    I have a warped mind. Warp Factor 8 as it happens.

    "OK, Beam me up Scotty. Things are going backwards here. The soaps are from 50 years ago.They went to the moon, then they went supersonic and now they go subsonic. They'll be bringing back the flying boats and wind up gramophones and Opportunity Knocks next. Please Scotty, beam me up now."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to get #15 but no joy. I click on your name and get #1 to #14 in a neat list but no #15.

    #1 is the best so far. John Williams must be one of the best composers alive.

    ReplyDelete