Saturday 27 November 2010

Saturday Playlist #13: Star Wars Episodes I-III

Lots of people don't like the Star Wars prequels. But then lots of people watch The X Factor, so who's right? Me, obviously. The Star Wars prequels are fine. In fact Revenge Of The Sith is fantastic. And no small part of what makes them almost as enjoyable as the original trilogy is John Williams' peerlessly terrific music.
I really don't see how anyone can crank up their speakers and sit through tracks like Episode I's 'Duel Of The Fates', Episode II's 'Across The Stars' or Episode III's 'Battle Of The Heroes' and not shed a tiny silver tear of joy at such perfectly crafted cinematic musigasms. So I've very kindly, and at no expense to you, put together a playlist of the greatest tracks from three of the greatest soundtracks of the last decade. Well, eleven years if you're being picky. Which I'm sure you are.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO
SATURDAY PLAYLIST #13:
STAR WARS EPISODES I-III

2 comments :

  1. John Williams, Alexandre Desplat and Howard Shore to name but three write film music that is truly symphonic. It amuses me to think of how many kids who would run a mile to avoid being dragged to a classic music concert sit spellbound listening to the same orchestras playing the soundtrack to Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings films which all have symphonic music. I wish the composer with the largest number of film soundtrack credits of all time (662 listed today on IMDB) was alive today. Richard Wagner (1813-1883) is the best composer for drama ever and many of his ideas and themes have woven their way into the compositions of today's composers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For light relief I would have incuded the music of the Cantina Band from Star Wars. Obi-Wan Kenobi: These are the musicians you are looking for.

    Luke Skywalker: You don't believe in the The Incredible Suit, do you?

    Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Incredible Suit controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

    ReplyDelete